The adjustment period is over and we are really starting to feel settled here. We are loving our life in London. When talking about this the other day, Tony commented that he is going to miss living here and I would agree. We may actually have to adjust to living back in the States!
Monday April 12, 2010
London—A global city.
One of the exciting aspects of living in London is that it is an international city! In the few weeks we have been here it is evident that there are many cultures represented--different languages spoken, various ethnic restaurants, and cultural clothing worn. Daily I am reminded of this as we live within a short walking distance (2-3 minutes) of several embassies, consulates, and high commissions. Today, it was a moving sight to walk past the Polish Embassy. The sidewalk was filled with flowers, cards, and candles, as well as people mourning the loss of the Polish President Lech Zaczynski, his wife, and other government officials.
My London Learning to share comes from church yesterday when we were informed that within our entire congregation there are 100 countries represented! London really is a global city.
Tuesday April 13, 2010
Walk through London
Today I enjoyed a long walk through the city and enjoyed some new sights…
Changing of the horse guard
Parliament
The Buxton Memorial--To commemorate the emancipation of slaves frollowing the 1833 Slavery Abolition Act.
Westminster Abbey
Big Ben
My London Learning for the day is if you ask for the time and someone says “half four” that means “four thirty.”
Wednesday April 14, 2010
The British Library
I thought that it would be nice to spend an afternoon at the local library here, so I looked up the closest one online and off I went. I had no idea that the British Library was such an amazing place!
They had several exhibits in the library itself. My favorite was the Treasures of the British Library. I saw (but was not able to take pictures of)…
• Original manuscript of Beowulf, approximately 1000 years old, longest epic poem in Old English
• Jane Austen’s writing desk and notebook from her teenage years
• Virginia Woolf’s notebook for Mrs. Dalloway
• Original of Sylvia Plath’s Insomniac
• Manuscript of Charlottle Bronte Jane Eyre
• Original draft of the lecture Creative writers and day dreaming by Sigmund Freud
• Original draft of Handel’s Messiah
• Mozart’s Horn Concerto in E Flat and Marriage Contract
• Beethoven’s Violin Sonata in G Major, Op 30/3 and tuning fork
• Autographed manuscript of Mendelssohn’s Wedding March
• Manuscript of Alice’s Adventures Under Ground by Charles Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll)
• Handwritten Beatle lyrics
• And on of the four surviving copy of Magna Carta, 1215
My London Learning for the day is that there are three clauses from the Magna Carta that still valid today—and to think that it was singed in 1215!
Thursday April 15, 2010
Thursday Routine
This week’s performance for the Lunchtime Chapel Concerts was by a young pianist named Viktor Sugeng, from Sweden. He is currently doing a Master’s Degree in Music at the Royal Academy of Music here in London. His performance was incredible and a relaxing break from my relaxing life here in London!!!
A few interesting things from my visit to the Victoria and Albert Museum...
General Tom Thumb's Vest and a Handbill
I then took a walk to the mother ship—Harrods and spent sometime drooling over the incredible merchandise.
I ended my day with a stroll through Hyde Park.
Also, today Tony got his first London hair cut...$60 later...
Lookin' Good!
My London Learning for the day is cream cheese is called soft cheese…and I recommend purchasing Philadelphia brand if you can find it.
Friday April 16, 2010
BBC NEWS
There are two big headlines here in the UK…
Last night’s first American style debate in the UK for the upcoming May 6th election and the Ash Cloud from the eruption of volcano Eyjafjallajokull in Iceland—Yep, we are stranded in the UK with a possible hung parliament!
As far as the elections are concerned—there is now a debate over who won the debate. Personally, I have no clue about the issues and where each party stands. But…I have to say that there are some funny ads run by the Conservative Party attacking current Prime Minister Gordon Brown reelection…
Now--the ash cloud continues to loom over the UK and disrupt air traffic all over Europe. Luckily we have no plans of leaving any time soon—otherwise it would be a long boat ride home!
My London Learning for the day is get travel insurance!
Weekend—Saturday and Sunday April 17-18, 2010
We spent the morning and afternoon in southern England at the Temple for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is a beautiful Temple and the grounds are peaceful. We also lucked out with great weather—sunny and not a cloud (or plane) in the sky. It was a great way to end a week and begin a weekend.
Dinner was at our pub, followed by a walk to Camden Town Market. This place is crazy.
On Sunday, Tony’s creativity and handyman skills came into play. A little back story starting on my first day here—my American hair dryer was RED HOT and smelled funny when I plugged it into the converter. So, before any hazardous situations I unplugged it. The reason my hair dryer almost melted/exploded/caught on fire, etc…is that it needed a converter that would allow for a higher output of volts. So, I used the UK hair dryer provided here in the flat. However, the UK hair dryer does not have a diffuser end so I held my diffuser end to the hair dryer. Problem—the diffuser end gets hot and burns my finger tips! When talking to my friend who lives here in the UK, I explained my problem and she brought me her American hair dryer that has a switch to lowers the voltage. Unfortunately, my diffuser end was too big for the dryer. So, this burning my fingertips to hold the diffuser in place has gone on for a month, but has now been fixed!! This afternoon, Tony took the cap from his shaving gel bottle (which fits over the end of the UK hair dryer perfectly) and cut a hole in it that is the size of the diffuser end. Problem solved and no more burning finger tips. Thank you TONY!!!
The Diffuser End of my American Hair Dryer
The UK Hair Dryer
Tony's Creation
Tony's Creation and the Diffuser
Hair Drying Success!!































































No comments:
Post a Comment